Vintage Fabulousness and Fun

We have known each other since our Freshman year in high school. About one million laughs later, we are in search of vintage items, cool stuff and a lot more laughs. It's addictive. Feed the monkey.

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Ace Chop Suey?

I'm pumping out posts more often than normal because my Mom took a bad spill and busted 4 ribs, so I drove up to help out and have ended up being here much longer than anticipated (but Ma is improving :) ) so I have been able to sit at the computer and think/type and got out a few times. This morning I checked Craigs' List and laughed at this line from an ad for an "estate sale" (which it was not)..."If you show up before 8 am, it will go bad."  Great line. Chris has been radio silent because she is on a mission to drive a long ass way to a funeral then drive another long ass way to Grover Beach to pick up some treasures we bought via our dear picking Junior Gypsy, Charlene (picking with her and her cell phone/camera/text long distance---piece of cake!!!)

Not many things appealed to me today and I drove umpteen miles out of the way to go to a thrift store that was having a sale because they were moving. Got there and the building had been condemned and they didn't even have electricity. Glad I had my flashlight app on my cell phone! Found this little treasure:
Sorry about my hand in the photo...I hate that but I was being totally lazy. But Ace Chop Suey? What, was Speedie's Chinese already taken?  I'm sure this is from the 40s-50s due to the way the phone number is written and of course I had to Google map the place, fully expecting it to be gone, and it was. So I buy it because our old cat is named Ace (but we call him any one of 43 other names) and I just had to have it. Probably paid 50 cents more than I should have but after all it was for animal rescue.  I can be generous like that.

Now for "interesting" (???) part. Besides being in a condemned building, the guy said they have a warehouse across the street. I have visions of animal hoarder/warehouse hoarder in my head. I could have gone over there, but decided that since they are open 7 days a week, I could make a pit stop there tomorrow on my way home. Another day, another round of picking luck is available. And since my picking mojo wasn't all there today, I think tomorrow it could be. You will be the first to know!


1 comment:

  1. My grandfather worked at Ace Chop Suey. I found that out when I got hand-me-downs of a few of the same tea cups!

    ReplyDelete