Vintage Fabulousness and Fun

We have known each other since our Freshman year in high school. About one million laughs later, we are in search of vintage items, cool stuff and a lot more laughs. It's addictive. Feed the monkey.

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Why Am I So Obsessed?

Obsession is a funny thing. Not funny ha ha, but oddly funny. When I am in Redding helping out my Mom, my big thing is to do the thrift store run as quickly as I can. Not that anybody cares that I'm doing that, but most of the thrift stores in this particular town are in the shadiest of shady areas.  If you have followed us at all, you know that I'm obsessed with the Capri Motel which is "Tweaker Capital" here. And a couple doors down is a big thrift store. I would love to be able to watch all of the sad coming and goings of that place for 24 hours (the Capri, not the thrift store!)  I was a Sociology major in college and I guess that is where this people watching fascination stems from. Do you know I ACTUALLY had the thought, "I wonder what it would be like to check into one of the rooms there for a night?" How flippin' GROSS is that? Bad obsession, down boy.

So I'm tripping around today at my local haunts and found some great stuff.  My fav was books from the 50s' that are in cool colors and the subject matters are directed at kids about historical events. Thinking I would buy 1 or 2, I suddenly got obsessive, thinking I would regret not getting many and I ended up walking out with 11 of them. This store is the same place that months ago I scored dozens of vintage bingo cards and regretted not taking them ALL:( .  Better still was the fact that I apparently cannot read and I thought they were one price but the reality was they were half of that. Oh so happy!  The titillating titles are things like: Queen Elizabeth and the Spanish Armada, The Building of the First Transcontinental Railroad and my personal fav Genghis Kahn and the Mongol Horde probably because of the word Horde which is only just a "sounds like" nod to the show Hoarders....the ultimate obsession, no?

Another find was a thrill because I outsmarted the thrift store "Vintage Goods" pricing matron and got 2 bitchin' plates from the 60's (maybe 50's...need to research) for 50 cents each. SCORE! Ha! I love it when I can find vintage stuff that you know they missed!! It was the same sort of deal on a red ricer. She must have been out sick the day they were pricing that haul. Once I figured that out....it took me almost an hour to get through that store because I knew they had a crack in their pricing system. Me?Obsessed? Hey, at least it's better (and surely safer) than obsessing over the stupid Capri Motel!


No comments:

Post a Comment