Vintage Fabulousness and Fun

We have known each other since our Freshman year in high school. About one million laughs later, we are in search of vintage items, cool stuff and a lot more laughs. It's addictive. Feed the monkey.

Monday, December 26, 2011

When Bad Do's Attack

Our dear, dear Mother passed away earlier this month. As we came to grips with our sadness, our wonderful sense of humor--that came mostly from Mom--began to emerge again. Over the course of several days, we went through family photos that we had not seen in quite some time. I was reminded of my "kitchen beautician" hairdos that my well meaning Mom subjected me to. While they didn't bother me much when they occurred and they really don't bother me now...they are pretty funny. At a time like this, funny counts for a lot, especially because it reminds me so much of what was special about my Mom.

With this intro, I offer you Exhibit 1:


I think I was in kindergarten or the first grade. Cute kid, but what's with the flip on the one side? Ok, so you might find this acceptable, but it goes on. Exhibit 2:
Bangs look funky, a few long hairs hanging down on the left side. The same, yet different than the school year before, but again, it goes on. Exhibit 3:
I might have my pictures and the school years mixed up but one thing remains the same....bad hairdos! The line around my head signified where the rollers went in and out. I think I like the version where I'm in the red sweater the best. But this last one brings back memories of the hard pink curlers that snapped into place. Sometimes I had to go to bed with them in my hair and there was no way to sleep comfortably but I refused to sit quietly under the bonnet hair drier for my Mom. It was boring, it was too hot, it was too cool, I wanted to go play.... It was the 60's after all and I had things to do. Poor Mom never got me to be a girly girl until I made my own Junior Prom dress out of pink gingham, but that's another story for another day. That one will need to involve beer or vodka.

I have more bad hairdo shots but I'm not sure you can handle them all at once. I'll spare you for now. Thanks for the priceless memories Mom! Ciao, babies.

1 comment:

  1. oooh, I had much the same haircut in the 60's. Our mothers must have gone to the same beauty school :-)

    ReplyDelete